Our CommunityCare Fund assists those communities affected by Transpower assets by investing in community-based projects which add real value and benefit to those communities.
Twice a year, we make one-off grants between $5,000 and $50,000 to community projects where the beneficiaries of those projects are located near our assets. This includes grants in the areas of our major maintenance projects and any new national grid projects over the period of those works.
Expressions of Interest for the next funding round (Winter 2021) close at 11:59pm on Friday 30 April 2021.
How to apply for funding
To apply, you will need to:
- review your proposed project against the funding criteria (see "Who can apply for funding?" below)
- submit an Expression of Interest using our webform by 31 October (for the Summer funding round) or 30 April (for the Winter funding round)
- if invited to do so, submit a Full Application using a link sent to you. Full applications must be submitted by 31 January (for the Summer funding round) or 31 July (for the Winter funding round).
Full Applications are evaluated by the CommunityCare Fund's independent panel. The panel meet in March for the Summer round, and again in September for the Winter round, and applicants are notified shortly after.
We recommend reading the guide to completing the Expression of Interest webform (opens in a new window) and the application guidelines attached and the bottom of this page.
Who can apply for funding?
Any independent, local, non-profit organisation or community group, non-government organisation, charity, school or educational institution, iwi or regional or district council can apply.
You can check where your community is in relation to our assets with our new interactive map.
The CommunityCare Fund will consider funding for:
- projects in communities in close proximity to the national grid (typically communities within 5 km of our overhead lines and substations) and who are affected by our assets
- one-off projects seeking a grant between $5,000 - $50,000
- lasting projects that benefit the wider community
- projects that have a high level of community involvement and participation
- committed projects that have already raised some funds from other sources.
The CommunityCare Fund will not consider funding for:
- events or programmes
- administrative, operational or ongoing costs (e.g. salaries, project management, rent, maintenance)
- individuals, political organisations or other foundations who make grants
- projects generally funded by the government
- projects that have already been completed
- projects that compromise Transpower's policies for managing the National Grid
- organisations who have received a CommunityCare Fund grant within the last two years.
What about GST?
It is important to remember the treatment of GST in your grant application relates to your organisation's GST status.
- If you are a non-registered GST organisation then you should ensure that the amount you apply for includes the GST needed to pay the costs of goods and services related to your project that you expect to pay.
- If you are a GST registered organisation, then you should ensure that the amount you apply for excludes GST on the goods and services needed for your project. However, on a separate line, the GST that will be incurred against the total application should be detailed.
For more information, please refer to the GST document attached below.
If you have any queries please contact us:
- Phone: 04 590 7005
- Email the CommunityCare Fund