Our CommunityCare Fund assists communities affected by Transpower's overhead lines and substations by investing in their local projects which add real value and benefit to those communities.
Twice a year, we make one-off grants between $5,000 and $50,000 to community projects where the beneficiaries are located near our assets. This includes grants in the areas where we are carrying out major maintenance on our assets and any new national grid assets.
Expressions of Interest for the next funding round, Winter 2021, are open until 11:59pm Friday 30 April 2021.
How to apply for funding
To apply, you will need to:
- review your proposed project against the funding criteria below
- submit an Expression of Interest using our webform by 31 October (for the Summer funding round) or 30 April (for the Winter funding round)
- if invited to do so, submit a Full Application using a link sent to you. Full applications must be submitted by 31 January (for the Summer funding round) or 31 July (for the Winter funding round).
These dates are the same each year.
Full Applications are evaluated by the CommunityCare Fund's independent panel. The panel meet in March for the Summer round, and again in September for the Winter round, and applicants are notified shortly after.
We recommend reading the guide to completing the Expression of Interest webform (opens in a new window). More detailed guidance is available as a PDF at the bottom of this page.
The following organisations are eligible to apply:
- organisations or community groups who are independent, local and non-profit
- non-government organisations
- kōhanga reo
- schools and educational institutions
- local and regional councils, however an application received from the community for the project is strongly encouraged.
The CommunityCare Fund will consider funding for:
- projects in communities in close proximity to the National Grid (typically communities within 5 km of our overhead lines and substations) and who are affected by our assets
- one-off projects seeking a grant between $5,000 - $50,000
- lasting projects that have wider-reaching benefits to the community
- projects with a high level of community involvement and participation
- committed projects with funds already raised from other sources.
The CommunityCare Fund will not consider funding for:
- events or programmes
- administrative, operational or ongoing costs (e.g. salaries, project management, rent, maintenance)
- individuals, political organisations, or other foundations who make grants
- projects generally funded by the government
- projects that have already been completed
- projects that may compromise Transpower's policies for managing the National Grid
- organisations who have received a CommunityCare Fund grant in the last four years.
You can check your project's location in relation to our assets with our interactive map (this opens in a new window) or simply contact us on the details below and we can advise the distance.
What about GST?
It is important to remember the treatment of GST in your grant application relates to your organisation's GST status.
- If you are a non-registered GST organisation then you should ensure that the amount you apply for includes the GST needed to pay the costs of goods and services related to your project that you expect to pay
- If you are a GST registered organisation, then you should ensure that the amount you apply for excludes GST on the goods and services needed for your project. However, on a separate line, the GST that will be incurred against the total application should be detailed.
For more information, please refer to the GST document attached below.
If you have any queries please contact us:
- Phone: 04 590 7005
- Email: CommunityCare.Fund@transpower.co.nz