Safe separation distances

Safe separation distances and access to National Grid lines need to be maintained to ensure Transpower can continue to operate and maintain the Grid. This means there can be some restrictions on how your land can be developed and where dwellings, buildings or structures can be safely located.

In addition to Transpower’s National Grid Yard and Subdivision Corridors, there are also a number of important regulations that contain mandatory requirements and safe separation distances for development near existing National Grid lines. Please consider these:


The New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Electrical Safe Distances 2001 (NZECP34:2001)

The New Zealand Electrical Code of Practice for Electrical Safe Distances (NZECP34:2001), referred to as NZECP, is a regulation under the Electricity Act. Compliance with its provisions is mandatory.

NZECP specifies minimum safe separation distances for persons, buildings/structures, mobile plant, and earthworks from National Grid lines (including their support structures).

In addition to the National Grid Yard, buildings and structures must also comply with the minimum safe clearance requirements in NZECP. It is important that construction methodology (i.e. how things are built and erected) is also considered - construction activities must also comply with NZECP, not just the finished product.

Sometimes NZECP requirements require setbacks or clearances that are greater than the National Grid Yard. The safe distances specified in NZECP differ depending on the voltage of the line, the position of the support structures, the length of the span crossing your site, and the topography. Please contact us to advise you of the correct NZECP safe distances for your site – Call 0508 LANDOWNER or email Us


Electricity (Hazards from Trees) Regulations 2003

The Electricity (Hazards from Trees) Regulations 2003, referred to as the Tree Regulations, came into effect on 1 July 2005 and are mandatory.  The Regulations define a safe separation distance for trees growing under overhead lines.  They also specify who is responsible for ensuring separation distances are maintained; place potential liability on tree owners if the Regulations are breached; and provide an arbitration system to resolve disputes relating to tree trimming. You can find a copy of the regulations here


Other resources:

Electricity Act 1992

Electricity Regulations 1996

Resource Management Act (RMA) 1991

District and Regional plan requirements

Your local Council may also have rules to manage buildings, subdivision and other activities. Please contact your local Council for further information.

Any registered easements over the land.

Transpower may have a registered easement for the relevant transmission lines, and the easement agreement will set out restrictions on certain activity within the easement area.

The Building Act 2004

The Building Act regulates building work.

The Development Guide

The Development Guide provides assistance to those considering development activities around our assets. If you need information or assistance, please contact us at