This page lists resources relating to safety around our lines.
If you see anything wrong with a Transpower line, or someone in danger around a line, phone our emergency 24-hour hotline 0800 THE GRID immediately.
It is important to maintain safe separation distances from transmission lines to ensure:
A best practice guide on the management of trees around transmission lines.
- Best practice forest management.pdf [ pdf 590.72 KB ]
Flying near power lines is dangerous as the conductors (wires) can be difficult to see.
- Helicopter user near transmission lines [ pdf 513.59 KB ]
In the rare event of a lightning strike or fault on the transmission line, towers or poles may transfer high voltage and dangerous currents into the ground for a very short instant.
- Earth Potential Rise Info Sheet.pdf [ pdf 1.46 MB ]
Tranpower's "Keys to Life" are our key safety expectations for Transpower staff and contractors. They are critical to individual safe work practices.
This factsheet provides information on the issues surrounding the growing and harvesting of forestry near transmission lines.
- Plantation Forestry Information Sheet [ pdf 693.27 KB ]
This booklet provides rural landowners/occupiers with information about how to work with transmission lines on your land.
- Working on Your Land [ pdf 6.68 MB ]
This brochure provides guidance to operating large irrigators near existing overhead high voltage transmission lines, and suggests ways to avoid electrical hazards.
- Irrigators and Transmission Lines.pdf [ pdf 211.97 KB ]
A guide to help keep safe when working around transmission lines. Contact your landowner liaison officer if you wish to obtain copies of safety stickers for your mobile plant or signage for your
- Safety around transmission lines - keep your distance [ pdf 446.03 KB ]